Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Kundalini yoga for the overweight and obese

There *is* a need for such a class. People who don't have perfect bodies are not typically welcomed with open arms. If you don't believe me, visit your local yoga studio and tell me how many overweight people you find. If you do find a significantly overweight person, you won't have to look too much harder to find people making rude comments about them behind their back. Can you imagine the people who need yoga the most are the most neglected and shunned? It's a travesty. So I decided, being a curvy girl myself, I would become a yoga instructor and hold classes especially for people who would probably never think in a million years they could do yoga: the overweight, obese, and even morbidly obese. I had found a yoga studio that was open to my idea, providing I can teach traditional Hatha as well as Kundalini, which I agreed to. I was on my way to becoming fully certified when my grandmother's health really began to deteriorate and my mom entered the early stages of Alzheimer's and so I never finished. (I also put my Bachelor's Degree on hold. I can't do anything about the latter until this fall, which is seven months away, but that's a different story).

I just made the decision, just now, that I am going to finish what I started. I'm going to do it. I'm going to get my certification and I'm going to head the first class in the Dayton area that caters to the overweight and obese. I'll keep y'all posted!

Namaste

5 comments:

  1. Good luck to you! If I lived in Dayton I'd join your class.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, Jay! Oh I'd LOVE to have you in my class. Too bad you're so far away. :(

      A couple of years ago I had the idea to ask one of my favorite bloggers Dave White -- who is obese and also a yoga enthusiast -- to do a video with me for YouTube. I still might see if I can twist his arm.

      Delete
  2. good move lisa..have fun..best

    ReplyDelete
  3. your observation is good and your plan seems a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might know you. I practiced at the Dharma Center in YS for 10 years, was a Zen student. Here I'm writing under a pseudonym. Namaste'. Good to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

So, speak your mind. I appreciate you very much! Namaste